Sunday 21 April 2013

Kindle Romance Covers of the Week - 21st April 2013

It's that time again! I've romped through the recently released romances as if they were a field full of spring flowers, and picked out my favourite covers for another week. I can't promise to be able to do this every week, but I got such a great response to the last two that I can't help keeping it going.

You'll note that I don't use any form of scientific analysis, scoring or other formal evaluation. I just pick out what I LIKE. So, the following is entirely my personal and purely subjective opinion. No critics were injured in the writing of this blog post.

And as ever, My Disclaimer: I haven't the foggiest if the following books are the next big sensation, or if they'll end up in your e-reader's DNF folder. I leave the reviewing of any contents to the experts (and to you, Dear Reader).

But first...

VICTORIA DAHL - TOO HOT TO HANDLE

That's right, folks, Victoria Dahl's latest full-length novel is now available in the UK on Kindle! Was chuffed to see this cover pull through into the list this week. If you don't already follow Victoria on Twitter, you are missing out on serious entertainment. As for the cover, I love the bold, fresh 'non-regulation-issue' colours she uses. And who can resist a pillow fight?



TREND SPOTTING: IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONOCHROME

I'm only going to pick on one trend this week, as it seems to be a rather BIG one. And I confess, I'm cheating a little, as I was curious about trends in the most POPULAR books from the Hot Release section (ebooks published on Amazon in the past 30 days).

With all the spring colour bursting up with the first warm weather we've had, I was sort of expecting to see a lot more vibrant Romance covers in the Popular list. But it seems the 50 Shades effect is still firmly with us, and all I can see is wall to wall shades of grey/blue/brown...monochrome.

Okay, there are a few with contrasting colour in the titles, but I was shocked at how many of the top 50 titles went for the two-toned look. It must appeal to readers though, as many buy a book by judging the cover, right (I know you do...you DO)?


RUNNERS UP!

LOVELY COUPLES

Here are some of my faves from this week - nice cozy couples (see? I don't just go for weird, abstract, dino-slipper covers!)

Title: Scarlet Heat
Author: Evangeline Anderson
Publisher: Evangeline Anderson Books
Genre: Fantasy/Paranormal Romance

This is probably the closest I get to putting a stamp of approval on a 'traditional' Romance cover (i.e. barely-clothed dramatic/passionate couple, wrapped in a torrid embrace)! She's a reluctant vampire, he's a secret werewolf with a cross-species marriage of (in)convenience thrown in. What I liked was the whole balance of colour - the gentleness of the figures, which leans more towards tender than raving-lust-filled, and the combination of title fonts. It's very pleasing on the eye. Though for all that, Evangeline does promise "Lots and lots of steamy sex." o_O

Title: Falling into Forever
Author: Lauren Abrams
Publisher: Amazon/Self-Published
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance

Simple, uncomplicated composition. Another in the 'monochrome' theme, but the simplicity is sexy, I think. At first I thought this might be another vampire romance, based on the neck-nibbling. But it's listed as Contemporary New Adult, set in New York and involves a hunky movie star and a lost love. Verdict: Simple and sensual. 

Title: Faster We Burn
Author: Chelsea M Cameron
Publisher: Amazon/Self-Published
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance

Love the soft colours on this cover, with the flowing text over-top of the cuddling lovers. The way the hands are just touching is tender and intimate - makes me want to know what's going to happen between these two. It also gives a much gentler and vulnerable impression than the story blurb - hoping the inside and outside line up! The only thing that kept this cover from being my favourite of the week was that for me, the title blended into the background picture. Even in this size, its hard to make out the words, and in an Amazon-size thumbnail, the contrast was too low to read it at all. otherwise, it's a lovely combination!


LONELY LADIES

In which I prove to have a weird thing for women's necks. Apparently. 

Title: Shades of Truth
Author: C.L. Stockton
Publisher: Amazon/Self-Published
Genre: Historical Romance

It's hard to go wrong when you start with such a pretty photograph. The tendrils of hair are nicely echoed in the swirl of the h in 'Truth'. The fine, dark lines of her hair, the text and the necklace pull the whole piece together. The only thing that lets this cover down (in my opinion), and also out of the running as my pick of the week, is the somewhat claustrophobic thin black border that's been added around the left-hand side. Perhaps without it, it looked too contemporary for a historical romance? Either way, I feel it spoils (just slightly), the tranquillity of the image. But other than that...LOVE.


Title: The Vessel
Author: Felicia Tatum
Publisher: Amazon/Self-Published
Genre: Fantasy/Paranormal Romance

If she touches you, Olivia can see how you'll die. Scott is under a family curse, but can visit Olivia in her dreams. Sound like a rather intriguing set-up? The cover caught my eye - how can you miss all that red hair? Very Pre-Raphaelite. Lovely contrast with the blue, and the pose is very pretty. I believe the rest of her is visible around the back of the printed book, which is clever. Again, slight issue for me with the title text blending into the image (sensing a trend here!).

Title: Ripper - A Love Story
Author: Lance Taubold & Richard Devin
Publisher: 13Thirty Books
Genre: Historical Romance/Thriller

You have to admit, this is the perfect cover for a historical serial killer romance-thriller where the leading man is also a suspect. There's elegant sensuality, mystery and splashes (literally!) of bloody murder. The font is strong and fits well with the historical timeframe. And for that little addition of something chilling, how's the 'telling ghost stories by the campfire' upwards lighting working for you? I'm hooked.

Title: Barely Breathing
Author: Heather Allen
Publisher: Heather Allen
Genre: Fantasy/Paranormal Romance

Not sure if it's just from following the intrepid and incredible Ksenia Anske as she chronicles the writing of her Siren Suicides novel(s), but I see a lot of amazing underwater photography around these days. And where better to utilize it than on a mermaid love story!! Gorgeous muted colours, dramatic pose, and the text against the red is lovely. I can't resist a cover that seems to plunge me into the middle of the story (is she drowning? dead?) before I've even read the first page.

LAST BUT BY NO MEANS LEAST...

No neat categories for these other than 'I LIKE'. And I'll have to suspense my analysis for now or this post will be out just before Christmas 2014 (if we're lucky).

Title: Cross Currents
Author: Beatrice Aird O'Hanlon
Publisher: SilverWood Books
Genre: Contemporary Romance

Title: Poison
Author: Sarah Pinborough
Publisher: Gollancz
Genre: Fantasy Fairy Tale Romance

Title: Second Hand Lace
Author: Jenna Lehne
Publisher: Turquoise Morning Press
Genre: Paranormal Romance


Drum roll please...

PICK OF THE WEEK

I actually surprised myself with this one. As you can probably tell, I gravitate towards moody, dramatic images with lots of contrast. But each time I went through the covers, this one kept grabbing me. Okay, so on the surface it has a feel of that 'Chic Lit' clip-art feel that we've come to love/loathe. But somehow this one goes further.

I think what I love about it is the pink calligraphy. I've seen some of those old, original manuscripts where the scribe just went bonkers (or got bored) and did more swirls of the pen than seemed entirely necessary, and that's exactly what we have here. That or a wedding invitation gone horribly and irrevocably wrong. It's the way the calligraphy then tangles with the other little elements which pulls it all together for me. The title is still clear and readable (a miracle, in all those swoops and swishes), and it's just...FUN. (Yes. I occasionally dabble in...fun.)


Title: Brave Hart (One Woman's Search for that Most Elusive of Things, a Happy Ending)
Author: Kristofer Spyrou
Publisher: Amazon/Self-Publish
Genre: Contemporary/Humour Romance



Not to be forgotten....

ABS OF THE WEEK AWARD!!

I'm sorry, but this man's arms HAVE THEIR OWN ABS. Is that even possible?!


PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Before I go, a few words of warning.

Beware of George Wickham...especially if he has a glowing eye. o_O
Beware the disembodied hand. With a ring.
Beware the Grammar Police if this is your title. Eep.
There are no words.





Hope you enjoyed this as much as I did - See you all next week!




eReader-with-books image Copyright (c) 123RF Stock Photos (with some editing from me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment